• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The vitamins and supplements MEGA THREAD.

bronson

Bluelighter
I was just curious what vitamins everyone takes and what they feel they accomplish. Myself...

Centrum - general health?

C - Immune Health

D+ Calcium - I was told once that it was good for psoriasis and it has worked amazingly ever since I started taking it daily.

Interested to know what others are taking!

Mega men multivitamin - Maybe I take them for some kind of placebo effect, but they make me feel "vitaminized", not a high but I get the well being feeling.
Fish oil - I have low good cholesterol and also helps your memory.
Korean ginseng - Energy boost in the morning, increases my high sex drive even further, helps me since I need the energy for +2000 meter at the swimming pool.

I've wondered about taking ginseng before, though I do find plain old black coffee to be a fairly reliable source of energy.

I have a Berocca every morning (multivitamin)... and I'm currently taking Cranberry just to give my urinary tract a bit of a cleanse...

I haven't taken these lately but I also get into Magnesium, Bilberry and Ginkgo Biloba...

I want to start taking fish oil as well... so many people swear by it... Whether it's just a placebo effect or not, I think it's worth giving it a go :)

Essential Greens from GNC - An excellent multivitamin with tons of green leafy vegetable extracts and antioxidants. My horrible outdoor allergies have completely abated since I started taking these.

Sublingual B12 Liquid Complex - For energy, concentration, and focus during the day. They give me a nice boost without having to resort to something like caffeine, which among other things interferes with calcium absorption.

Fish Oil - A variety of bodily benefits including anti-inflammatory properties, cholesterol reduction, brain and neurological protection, and cardiovascular benefits.

I just take a Men's One a Day just about everyday or every other day. I don't know if they are really any good or not, but I figure they are better than nothing. I know I don't get all of the daily recommended vitamins and minerals in my diet so why not take a multivitamin/mineral. I would really like to do some research though and find the best vitamin brand out there. Many times the best products are not advertised very well. It seems that more popular supplements often tend to be of lesser quality because much of their money is spent on advertising. I also take ginkgo biloba just about everyday. I love that stuff. Maybe its just placebo but I feel like it makes me more clear headed and sharp. It also reduces the effects of cholesterol. I don't know if you would call this a supplement but I frequently eat bags of green tea. I do it for the caffeine and for the strong antioxidants. Its good for being at work or going out to parties.

Tomorrow I'm making a trip to a local herbal healing / vitamin store. I'm going to have to look into fish oil and ginkgo biloba for sure. It sounds like they have lots of great benefits, whether perceived or actual, and it's doesn't seem like there should be any real drawback to trying them.

I eat an excellent well balanced diet but I also take a high daily dose of Vitamin D especially in the winter when it's hard to get outside often and there's not a lot of sun.

I don't take vitamins and supplements either. I used to, but these days I try to get them in actual food or fermented things. I would say I'm at my second-healthiest now (the first being when I sleep early and maintain this same diet), and am going in for some routine bloodwork soon, so we'll see what docs have to say about my feeling.

Tomorrow I'm making a trip to a local herbal healing / vitamin store. I'm going to have to look into fish oil and ginkgo biloba for sure. It sounds like they have lots of great benefits, whether perceived or actual, and it's doesn't seem like there should be any real drawback to trying them.

Fish oil is great for you. Omegas are essential. Just make sure you get the ones that don't cause nasty burps.

I think it's very important to take vitamin D every day in the winter, especially if you live in a cloudy high-latitude place like me. I started doing that this year and I've found myself complaining about the darkness and lack of sun a lot less than I usually do.

I take a multi (to make up for a shit diet with too little fruit/veg), Omega 3/6/9 supplement (Omega oils improve body composition, skin, hair, make you feel great and add some extra calories) ALA (to help nutrient partitioning and because its an awesome anti-oxidant) and ALCAR (to try and increase androgen density and nutrient partitioning- its just a good amino).

Which are those exactly so I can be sure to avoid them tomorrow when I go shopping?!

I'm not sure. I don't take the those supplements because I already eat plenty of fish so I don't know much about them. I've just heard from people that man of the supplements give you nasty burps but some pass through the digestive system to where you don't get the burps. When you go ask someone who works there about it. If you have a whole foods type store in your area, someone there will know for sure.

Centrum = general well being

Vitamin b12 - Energy

5HTP - ONLY when im feeling down or after some intense serotonin depletion from drug use :p

Fish Oils - Heard it improves brain function ----> Made a thread on this why not check it out ?!!

Vitamin B complex - Helps make the most out of your food

At my trip to the herbal healing store I purchased some gamma-Aminobutyric acid and antioxidant chewable vitamins. Going to give them a try for a few days, and then assess if they are doing any good.